Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?
Date: 01 Mar 2002 12:20:45 +0100

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> RMS asked me to look at this, but did not say what to do.
>
> I can see two solutions:
>
> 1. Change the doc string to say that existing frames will not be
>    affected by setting default-frame-alist, only new ones.
>
> 2. Add a :set method that applies the frame parameters to all existing
>    frames.

I'd prefer 2, but as you indicate there are short-comings.

However, the request is related to colors - and I think that is what
most users would expect to change if default-frame-alist is modified.
Other parameters related to the default face (e.g. the font) may also
be expected to be propagated to all frames.

My proposal is:

Change foreground and background color and other default font setting for
all frames which are using the current default settings of those parameters.

All other parameters only take effect on new frames.