Re: "Outer world" encoding for non-Latin1 language environments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Outer world" encoding for non-Latin1 language environments
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:57:26 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:00:58 +0200
> From: Anton Zinoviev <address@hidden>
> >
> > Why change it?  The default for X selections is compound-text, which can
> > handle many different languages/scripts mixed in a single selection.
> > What you propose (to set it to koi8-u) will limit the selections to a
> > single charset.  Why is that a good idea?
>
> I was under impression that Emacs doesn't support compound-text.  It
> doesn't touch command sequences and pasting from xterm gives something
> like:
>
> ^[%/1\200\212\koi8-r^B......
>
> where dots are Latin-1 letters instead of Cyrillic.

The current CVS version and the pretest of Emacs 21.2 do support the
above.  Please try a newser version.

> In this case setting the keyboard won't make any harm to this user, as
> then he or she can use some of the input methods provided by Emacs.
> There is no situation when it might be usefull if Emacs interprets my
> Cyrillic input as Latin1.

See Stefan's response: the default is not Latin-1, and Emacs should
interpret your keyboard input correctly even without
keyboard-coding-system being set.  If that doesn't work, please tell
the details; perhaps there's some bug.

> P.S. Should I cc you when replying?

You don't have to.