Re: PO files and Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PO files and Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:17:04 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Whereas po-mode.el is a major mode for editing (not just
> viewing) PO files. po-mode.el is and remains included in the GNU
> gettext package, because it is documented in the GNU gettext manual
> and needs some of the GNU gettext programs to be installed.

It's your decision, of course, but I don't think these reasons are grave
enough to prevent inclusion of po-mode.el in Emacs.  Texinfo Mode has the
same status: it's documented in the Texinfo manual and needs programs
from the Texinfo package to be fully useful; and yet it is distributed as
part of Emacs.

The important consideration (IMHO) is that, while po-mode.el could be
useful with Emacs but without gettext, it is useless with gettext but
without Emacs.