Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: 15 Mar 2002 12:47:01 +0100

>     isearch-open-invisible will call a user-supplied hook in order to make
>     invisible texts appear when searching.  Those images I use in my
>     buffer effectively make the original text invisible (for example, I
>     replace $\frac{\pi}{3}$ by an image for the formula), so I want
>     isearch to "open" them while going through the buffer.  isearch will,
>     however, only call isearch-open-invisible if the text/overlay is
>     marked as invisible, so that is what I do.
>
> It would make more sense to modify isearch-open-invisible so it can
> deal with these images in another way.  The invisible property should
> override the display property and make the text it covers not appear,
> not as itself, not modified by a display property.

Well, I already explained that in the case of an overlay, the display
property is not really connected with the text but with the buffer
locations.  An overlay can cover an empty range of text, and still
have a display, before-string and after-string appear in a buffer.
If you want to have the display, before-string, and after-string be
covered by an invisibility property, you should tack the invisibility
property on the respective strings you store in the overlay
properties instead, since the invisibility property of the overlay
itself is supposed to apply to the covered text, not to the overlay
itself.

Email: address@hidden