Re: ediff feature request: diffing line by line

From: Carlo Traverso
Subject: Re: ediff feature request: diffing line by line
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:27:23 +0100 (CET)

    Karl> Let me forward this enhancement proposal:

    Karl> This basically means a diff is required that compares line
    Karl> by line and that allows to say "next word" from version A or
    Karl> "rest of line" from version B is wanted.

Another point concerns whitespace: the "ignore whitespace" mode should
consider equivalent any positive quantity of whitespace (including
line ends), but should not ignore the difference between existing and
non-existing whitespace. Currently ediff ignores spaces between word
and punctuation.

    Karl> Here is Carlo's prototyp in Lisp:

    Karl>     http://www.dm.unipi.it/~traverso/Ebooks/Lsp/ocrdiff.lsp

I have put there a real-life sample of two different OCR with the
corresponding correct output.

Carlo