Re[3]: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[3]: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:26:57 -0500

>>> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) seems to think that:
>"Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wrote something for packing X messages via a TCP socket.  You could
>> define the message in a vector and it would pack and unpack the item.
>> It was X centric, and you could encode sizes for X's dynamic length
>> fields.
>
>I looked at your code, and I can see we are touching on similar
>grounds here, but there are quite fundamental differences in each
>approach, so I guess both packages will have their uses (and users).
>
>Notably, my package separates format and data in a pretty generic way,
>while your package tends to mix data and format which is less generic,
>but probably somewhat easier to use for some purposes.
>
>Also, your package has much more versatile ways of recognizing /
>guessing the actual format of some data -- but I think that part is
>pretty X-centric in its current form.
>
>I'll probably have to look into this aspect for my package to be
>more complete (I have some ideas about how to add `union' support).

It has been quite some time since I wrote or even looked in that
package.  I wanted to draw nifty pictures from Emacs Lisp but it was
way more work just getting the graphics up, never mind writing an
app. ;)

My other Emacs/TCP/UDP app is gtalk (gnutalk.sourceforge.net) but that
used an external C package.  No one seems to use that protocol these
days though. :(

Have fun
Eric

--