Re: Unify on encoding

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Unify on encoding
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:49:06 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>  A second request (but separate) is whether there is any objection to
>> removing
>>  the ability to turn off unify-8859-on-encoding-mode.

> FWIW, I object in principle to removing user options, especially for
> brand-new features we never tested in a public release.  I think we
> should revisit this specific issue after Emacs 21.3 is released and
> used for a while, based on user reports.

I agree on turning on unify-8859-on-encoding-mode by default.

As for removing the ability of turning off
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode, I'm not sure.

If we remove it, that means all Emacs codes can assume
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode unconditionally.  If that
decreases some cost of maintaining some code, I agree with
removing it.

If keeping it just means that keeping a few variables and
functions, we don't have to remove it now.  We can remove it
after confirming that there's no case that
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode does something bad through the
pretest period of 21.3.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden