Re: featurep

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: featurep
Date: 21 Mar 2002 20:47:08 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> >     Having make-network-process doing something other than making a
> >     network process is not a more intuitive solution than featurep.
> >
> > That is exactly what bothers me about it.
> >
> > Perhaps we can implement use of lists as subfeatures.  Then
> > (featurep 'make-network-process '(:family local)) could be used
> > instead of (make-network-process :feature :family 'local).
>
> I still haven't heard any evidence that
>
>       (condition-case nil
>           (make-network-process foo bar baz)
>         (unsupported-networking-feature
>           ...do..something..else...))
>
> is not enough and that a separate `featurep' support is required.

One example could be that we need to use different sentinels and
filters depending on what features are supported.  Using the
featurep method, we only need to define the sentinel and filter
functions related to the actual method used.

The condition-case approach means that you don't know in advance
what will be the optimal approach.

++kfs