Re: emacs 21.2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:44:56 +0200

> From: "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:40:59 -0000
>
> I realise that Emacs releases have changed, and odd-numbered releases
> are different in some way to even-numbered releases, but could someone
> explain what the difference is meant to be?

There's no such rule; odd-numbered releases are not special.

What actually happens is that the bug-fix releases, such as 21.2, are
produced from a CVS branch, while development continues on the trunk.
Changes committed on the trunk alone won't be seen in the releases
produced from the branch.  If we decide that there should be another
bugfix release, it will be labeled 21.3, but will still be produced
from the release branch.

This didn't start with Emacs 21, btw: Emacs 20.6 and 20.7 were also
produced from a branch (except that in that case, ``the branch'' was
a separate directory rather than a VC branch).

> Many of the problems I raised since the last pretest (AFAIK 21.1.90,
> almost 2 months ago), which (AFAIK) were fixed when reported, are not
> fixed in 21.2.

As a matter of principle, the release branch only gets safe bugfixes,
so it's possible that some of the changes are not there if they were
deemed unsafe, or if the bugs were deemed not grave enough to risk a
change.  It is also possible that we forgot to commit the changes to
the branch, so please tell what changes, specifically, do you have in
mind.