RE: emacs 21.2

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: RE: emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:34:13 -0000

> If I understand you right, you're saying that you consider pretesting
> valuable for you if it is going to help to solve ASAP the problems you
> encounter/suffer.

Not quite.  Pretesting is worthwhile (for me)
right-now-this-moment-as-I-speak if the effort I put in will result in
fixes in the next release.  If the effort will not result in fixes, I
would be tempted to put it off until I think it will.  After all, if my
effort will not make a difference to any user (including me) until 21.3
or later, I'm thinking why bother putting that effort in for 21.2?  It
won't make any difference to anyone and it's not like I have time to
burn.

So, I thought my effort would be worthwhile for 21.2, but it turns out I
was wasting my time and I could've left it "until later" without it
making any difference to Emacs for users (and pretesters if not
developers).  MaƱana.

The other point---"ASAP".  I don't care if I don't get patches for fixes
to a pretest, though I'm happy to test them.  I don't care if the next
release with the fixes is not soon----I wouldn't be a pretester if that
was the case.