Re: emacs 21.2

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs 21.2
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:15:01 -0700 (MST)

      I think 21.2 should have fixed
    known serious bugs as well as addressed "stability" (however you define
    that) issues.

We did try fix the known serious bugs--the question is which bugs are
"serious".

      I spent a large amount of my own time tracking down problems
    with the last pretest & coming up with some fixes & testing others'.  I
    did it because I thought it would be worth it: I thought the next Emacs
    release would fix those problems.

The next release made from the development sources will fix them.  But
we are not ready to make another release from these sources yet.
The 21.3 release will probably be made from the development sources,
but we don't know when that will be.

We made a little extra effort so we could release a 21.2 sooner
which fixes a lot of the bugs in 21.1 and has little risk of
creating any new bugs.