Re: Emacs-diffs digest, Vol 1 #508 - 12 msgs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs digest, Vol 1 #508 - 12 msgs
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:58:23 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> It used to be that if there wasn't enough pure memory and we
> tried to allocate some pure storage Emacs would just halt.
> Now it keeps going, allocating in non-pure storage instead and
> signalling that the pure storage overflowed.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think we should do something to avoid the warning in the bootstrap
case, then.  Users who don't know these details might become spooked by
the warning, especially if they were used to get a fatal error with the
same language before.

> PS: I almost got bootstrapping to work without a `bootstrap-emacs'
>     executable (by byte-compiling with `temacs' instead)
>     but hit a problem where `temacs -batch' freezes in call-process:
>     the problem is that the SIGCHLD handler is not installed in that
>     case (probably because it might introduce problems when we dump).

Yes, I think that's the reason why signals aren't caught.

>     As for why `call-process' is called: vc.el does
>     (eval-when-compile (require 'ediff-util)) and ediff-util.el
>     ends up loading all the ediff*.el files (also from within
>     `eval-when-compile' clauses) and ediff-ptch.el runs patch with a few
>     different args to determine the default value of a config variable.

We could prevent this by binding some special variables during bootstrap,
no?