Re: <EMACS> Re: emacs21.2 freezes on hp when calling visible-bell

From: Maarten Vergauwen
Subject: Re: <EMACS> Re: emacs21.2 freezes on hp when calling visible-bell
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:11:57 +0100

Bruce Perens writes:

 > Select is being used to pause the process with finer granularity than
 > sleep(). On return, the contents of timeout are _undefined_. Print
 > timeout.tv_sec and timeout.tv_usec before the call and see if their value
 > is sensible. It probably gets clobbered after the first call (or the first
 > few) and sends you into a very long delay, thus the "hang".

I did this before posting the bug report but didn't include the printout in
my original mail:

first call:

(ask for current with gettimeofday)
current: 1017306217s 417857us
(wakeup is invariant)
wakeup:  1017306217s 567830us
(here current gets the value of wakeup - current)
current: 0s 149973us
(timeout is always set to 10000us)
timeout: 0s 10000us
select
return from select

second iteration:

current: 1017306217s 431843us
wakeup:  1017306217s 567830us
current: 0s 135987us
timeout: 0s 10000us
select
return from select

third iteration:

current: 1017306217s 451596us
wakeup:  1017306217s 567830us
current: 0s 116234us
timeout: 0s 10000us
select

emacs hangs

 > Since this is emacs run under gdb, it could be a ptrace bug.

This "hanging" happens both under gdb and just standalone. The number of
iterations is unpredictable.

Maarten

--
MAARTEN VERGAUWEN
K.U.Leuven - ESAT-PSI   tel: +32-16-32.10.64  fax: +32-16-32.17.23