Re: unify-8859-on-encoding-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: unify-8859-on-encoding-mode
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:17:04 -0500

> JFYI: Eli notified me, that my e-mails are sent with

> sometimes:
>
> --- cut here ---
> Btw, Pavel: I was surprised to see this header in your message:

> (which, of course, means the non-ASCII 0xED character in your name
> was interpreted as Latin-9).  Is this some side effect of
> unify-on-encode, and if so, is this something we should fix, or at
> least be aware of, or maybe you don't mind?

Clearly it's wrong: assuming that his language environment is setup so
that his preferred coding-system is latin-2, when either of latin-1,
latin-2 or latin-9 can be used to encode the region, latin-2 should
be chosen.

Pavel does the same thing happen when writing a file ?
E.g. starting with an empty file, enter your name, save
the file and check the coding-system used for writing.

        Stefan