RE: etags confused with uppercase filenames (on Windows)

From: Stavros Macrakis
Subject: RE: etags confused with uppercase filenames (on Windows)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:40:51 -0500

> > 2bis) else, if the file name is all upcase, upcase the builtin file name
suffixes and retry

> It would probably be better to apply a bit more fine checks to the
> file name.  For example, I suspect that only file names that fit into
> the DOS 8+3 limitations are upcased like that.  Stavros, can you
> confirm that in your case?

That's probably true, although I've renamed them now.  The main reason I
suggested that a warning would be appropriate is that it took me a few
*years* since I copied over these files to notice that they weren't being
indexed by etags!

On Windows, Emacs seems to accept *.EL as equivalent to *.el, so etags
should, too (although a warning might be a good idea).  In glancing at the
code, I'm not 100% sure that Emacs is completely consistent about this
(depending on the setting of case-fold-search) though....  I have not taken
the time to check thoroughly.

But without investigating this further (I don't think it deserves it!), I
agree with Francesco's suggestions, except for (4), which I would make:

4) if suffix is all upcased, try downcasing, and give a warning if that
succeeds

This is a good idea because .EL is not the standard suffix, and may not work
in all cases (e.g. when the files get moved to another system).  On systems
which only support uppercase filenames (does etags support any such), of
course there should be no warning.

      -s