Re: format.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: format.el
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 20:55:33 +0300

> Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:32:48 -0700 (MST)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
> format.el defines conversions for some international text representations
> that are implented by running recode.  Also two that use iso-german
> and iso-spanish.
>
> Are these features still useful, or have they been obsoleted
> by Mule facilities?  Can we delete some of this as obsolete?

AFAICS, the conversions that use `recode' can be rewritten to use
Emacs facilities based on Mule.  However, someone will have to write
more-or-less trivial wrappers for encode-coding-region and friends,
since we don't currently support encoding with names `ibm-pc',
`roman8', and iso646-ge.

As for iso-german and iso-spanish, they are imlpemented in iso-cvt.el.
I don't know what are the target encodings of those two, so I cannot
say whether Mule supports that.  Anybody?