Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: 06 Apr 2002 23:44:46 -0500

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 21:53, John Wiegley wrote:
> I agree.  I think overlays have their place; for example they allow
> specialized font properties to be used in conjunction with font-lock,
> like highlighting certain terms temporarily.  These overlays can then
> all be deleted in one go, without having to search the text.

You mean like changing the face of some text temporarily, and then just
going through the buffer and deleting all the overlays to remove that
face?

This approach fails when you use overlays for any other purpose in the
same buffer; you then can't just delete all the overlays.

If we had extents, the right way to solve that problem, in my opinion,
would be to add another extent with a higher priority face, and another
property like 'temporary t.  Then, you could search for all extents with
a 'temporary property, and delete them.