Re: format.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: format.el
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:50:40 -0600 (MDT)

    AFAICS, the conversions that use `recode' can be rewritten to use
    Emacs facilities based on Mule.  However, someone will have to write
    more-or-less trivial wrappers for encode-coding-region and friends,
    since we don't currently support encoding with names `ibm-pc',
    `roman8', and iso646-ge.

Is this assuming we are trying to maintain precise compatibility?  I
doubt that is necessary, since these interfaces are probably rarely
used.  I think we may as well recommend people invole the Mule
facilities directly.  If these facilities in format.el don't provide
any extra *functionality* then I think we may as well just delete
them.