Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:42:48 -0600 (MDT)

    If we had extents, the right way to solve that problem, in my opinion,
    would be to add another extent with a higher priority face, and another
    property like 'temporary t.  Then, you could search for all extents with
    a 'temporary property, and delete them.

You can do this now, with overlays.  Overlays are a lot like extents.

    Ok, I looked at the XEmacs manual a bit, and yes, that appears to be the
    case.  Note that they have built a text properties/overlays type API on
    top of their extent mechanism.

We can do that, too.  In fact, we partly already have.
I was trying to convince you to help do more of it.

    I guess all I can do is assert that an XEmacs-style extent mechanism
    would make a lot more sense to me, personally.

The advantages you see are not real advantages because they are not
really differences.  If you like the extent facility it makes no sense
for you to dislike the extremely similar overlay facility.