Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: 07 Apr 2002 23:14:51 -0400

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 19:42, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     If we had extents, the right way to solve that problem, in my opinion,
>     would be to add another extent with a higher priority face, and another
>     property like 'temporary t.  Then, you could search for all extents with
>     a 'temporary property, and delete them.
>
> You can do this now, with overlays.  Overlays are a lot like extents.

Yes.  In fact, as far as I can see, overlays are only really missing one
major feature; what the XEmacs people call the "duplicable" property,
such that when text covered by an extent is copied and later inserted
into another buffer, a new extent with the same properties is created
covering the text.

> We can do that, too.  In fact, we partly already have.
> I was trying to convince you to help do more of it.

Yes, you mentioned insert-with-overlays.  I'm going to work on it after
finishing update-game-score.

> The advantages you see are not real advantages because they are not
> really differences.  If you like the extent facility it makes no sense
> for you to dislike the extremely similar overlay facility.

Extremely similar, except for that all-important duplicable property,
which would solve my ibuffer problem in a clean way.