Re: recursive load case in openp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: recursive load case in openp
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:50:17 +0300 (IDT)

On 7 Apr 2002, Colin Walters wrote:

> What seems to be happening is that openp eventually calls
> encode_coding_string, which eventually calls temp_output_buffer_setup,
> which then runs the hook variable `temp-buffer-setup-hook', whose value
> defaults to the single symbol `help-mode-setup'.  Therefore, since
> help-mode is autoloaded, emacs will attempt to load it, and enter Fload,
> and therefore reenter openp, try to load help-mode again...
>
> The following patch fixes the problem on my system; Does anyone have any
> objections to fixing the problem in this way?

I'd like to find a solution that doesn't prevent legitimate hooks from
running.  The problem my change introduced is very specific, so I think
we should try to find a solution that prevents this specific scenario
from screwing up Emacs.

I will try to find such a solution.  Thanks for reporting the problem and
its analysis.