Re: shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?
Date: 12 Apr 2002 16:07:23 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Another possibility is to keep the current behavior and just document
> it:
>
>     This function uses the variable `system-type' to see what kind of
>     quoting is to take place.  You can bind that variable before
>     calling this function to effect a different kind of quoting.  For
>     example, the following gives you Unix-style quoting even when
>     Emacs is running on Windows-like systems:
>         (let ((system-type 'not-windows)) (shell-quote-argument "..."))

Excecpt that this addition to the doc string is larger (and more
complex) than the changes needed to add and document an optional
target-system-type parameter :-)

But I agree that this would suffice, and maybe a shorter doc string
would be sufficient [Don't give an example -- this is for lisp
experts anyway]...  Maybe this is enough:

     The variable `system-type' determines the kind of quoting performed.