Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: 13 Apr 2002 00:08:38 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> > But I still think the use of the minor-mode-overriding-map-alist for
> > this purpose is pretty obscure (although I suspect that is the
> > purpose for which it was invented...)
>
> I still think it's the best solution so far.
> Better than a `keymap' text-property (help-follow also works on non-buttons
> and I care about it, since I wrote the code for it ;-).

What you want to accomplish is that RET runs help-follow in a help
buffer.

But view-mode [accidentally] has a binding for RET which shadows the
help buffer's local binding of RET.

Now, using the minor-mode-overriding-map-alist fixes this, but the
reason I think it is obscure is that it explicitly has to mention
which minor-mode is obscuring its binding...

But after having discussed this with you, I now believe that the
minor-mode-overriding-map-alist *is* the proper way to deal with this
situation, since other minor modes may also [temporarily] rebind RET
for valid reasons, so it is the view-mode binding which must be
specifically overridden.

As always, I appreciate the education.  Thanks!