Re: Improving communication between GNU Emacs and XEmacs

From: Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]
Subject: Re: Improving communication between GNU Emacs and XEmacs
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:59:47 +0200

RMS>     This is an unsubstantiated claim, and it doesn't get better with
RMS>     repetition---many XEmacs maintainers have signed papers (including
RMS>     myself), and if you have questions about authorship, you need only
RMS>     ask.

RMS> You proposed cooperation, so I thought we were having a civil
RMS> conversation, not an argument where people say "I dare you to prove
RMS> that!"

I'm sorry if it sounded that way, it is not what I intended.  I was
suggesting that you identify pieces of code (like you did with the
startup-paths code) that would be good starting points for shared
development and ask the authorship question.  It is very possible we
won't be able to track it all down to the point of making you
comfortable, or that not all the authors have signed papers.  On the
other hand, it is also possible that authorship can be identified, and
that papers exist or can be obtained.  It may also be possible in some
instances to replace code with unclear authorship or lack of papers by
code with clear authorship and papers.  I'll try to help with this.

RMS> I wish it were true that we could simply ask someone, but XEmacs
RMS> has a history of ten years, during which many different people
RMS> maintained it, and for much of that time without keeping records.

Yes, but for much of that time (when Steve Baur took over, and I
suspect even before that), we have kept records.  I can say for myself
that I'll try my best to help.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike