Re: address@hidden: [patch] factor out comment-or-uncomment feature from

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [patch] factor out comment-or-uncomment feature from comment-dwim]
Date: 14 Apr 2002 23:32:36 +0200

>     Should I install it (together with the new set-mark-command)?
>
> Please install both.  Thanks.

I have committed changes to implement this (not quite the code
I posted here, as I found various subtle problems with having to
depend on the prefix arg of the last command.)

Note that C-u C-x C-x will now activate transient-mark-mode without
exchanging point or mark.  This works much better than the proposed
C-x C-x C-x C-x (in case you want to do that just to see where the
mark is).

Also, C-u C-SPC always jumps to mark and pop, also when it follows
a previous C-u C-SPC command.  I found it too confusing to change the
semantics of C-u C-SPC  (it seems to be hardwired into by brain).
So now C-u C-SPC C-SPC ... and C-u C-SPC C-u C-SPC ... works the same.

To set the mark following C-u C-SPC ... use C-u C-u C-SPC (or exec
some other command first).

To make this work reliable, there are new commands push-mark-command
which always sets the mark, and pop-to-mark-command which jumps to
mark and pop.  set-mark-command now uses either of these depending on
the state, the last command, and the prefix arg.