Re: config.in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: config.in
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:00:45 +0300

> From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
> Date: 16 Apr 2002 15:40:15 -0400
>
> > Of course, we _should_ do the right thing and remove it from CVS (along
> > with `configure' for that matter)....
>
> Agreed.  I don't see why we couldn't use an "autogen.sh" script like a
> number of other free software projects do.

Some do, others don't.  As a matter of fact, Emacs is the first
project I'm involved with (out of half a dozen others) where it's
suggested to do this.

> If there aren't any objections to this idea, I'll be happy to do it.

I object that we require users to install Autoconf and Automake just
to build Emacs.  Those are tools for developers, not for users.  To
say nothing of non-Posix systems where this will add yet another level
of gratuitous problems.  IMHO it doesn't make sense to go through all
that just to save us the ``cost'' of a 25KB file.