Re: locate-file in Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: locate-file in Emacs
Date: 19 Apr 2002 01:45:34 +0900

Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> writes:
> > I think that probably the best thing to do is to simply deprecate
> > the MODE interface
>
> You find it best, but I don't agree.  I think MODE is nice for the
> added efficiency (which my implementation doesn't use).

I think that the common cases could (and probably should) be hardwired
for efficiency's sake.  [E.g., (eq predicate 'file-executable-p) ]

> Another thing I don't like about that change is that it mixes the
> namespaces -- PREDICATE would silently misbehave work if your function
> happens to be named `executable' or `readable'.

[I suspect that even in _that_ case, it's pretty likely that
 a function called `executable' in fact just does `file-executable-p',
 so it would _still_ work...  spooooky ... :-) ]

-Miles

--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo