Re: config.in

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: config.in
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:45:30 -0600 (MDT)

    Note that even if these generated files are included, they may _still_
    need the auto* programs, because CVS makes no attempt to preserve
    timestamps, and the Makefile will attempt to regenerate the files
    anyway (though the checked-out contents are actually `up to date').

This does not seem to have been a problem in the past.  For a few
months I did not have the latest Autoconf and could not regenerate
`configure'.  This was not a real problem; I ran ./configure and I
don't think anything tried to run autoconf.

Things may be different now with src/config.in.  There now seems to be
a Make rule to update that file, so it might try to run automatically.
This is no good.

We may need to delete the dependency that would run that Make rule, so
that it only runs on explicit request (or from `dist').  Or install
some sort of touch command instead.