Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:55:11 -0400

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> >>  But Handa-san listed a couple of problems with using the standard syntax
> >>  tables.
>
> > I seem to have missed his email.
>
> My point is:
> show-trailing-whitespace should not mean highlighting such
> charactes that have "whitespace" SYNTAX, but should mean
> highlighting sucn characters that have "whitespace" GLYPH.

That's a separate issue.  Related to whether or not we should
take the display-table into account.

> Both sets of characters mostly overlap but not necessarily
> be the same.
>
> For instance, even if I set syntax of NBSP to "word
> constitute",

When would you do that and why (considering that we're specifically
talking about the global standard-syntax-table) ?

> show-trailing-whitespace should highlight it.

Really ?  I think this very much depends on the answer to the
previous question.

We really just need a table somewhere that tells us what is whitespace
and what isn't.  Currently I think there are two such tables, one is
the standard-syntax-table, the other is the ` ' category.  Actually,
I [:space:] and [:blank:] are two more, but [:space:] relies on the
buffer-local syntax-table (i.e. not good, although it's not that bad
since it only uses it for non-ASCII chars, IIRC) and [:blank:] only
matches ASCII chars (i.e. not good either).

        Stefan