Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-da

From: Andy Piper
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:55:17 -0700

At 01:40 PM 4/19/02 +0200, Per Abrahamsen wrote:
Dialog boxes are so 1980's.

Well so is Windows, but the advantage is that everyone knows how it works - you can get up to speed quickly on an application because everything works the way you expect. I'm not saying dialog boxes aren't clumsy, inefficient etc, etc - but for a bunch of users its what they expect. So it seems to me the principle of least surprise applies here.

Not that your points about making the minibuffer more accessible aren't good ones. I think the minibuffer is one of emacs' greatest strengths.

amdu