Re: Make GUI look better

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Make GUI look better
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:47:58 +0200 (MEST)

> Hi,
>
> while doing some work on menus, I realized that Emacs' GUI is "weird"
> comparing to other free software I used as an inspiration.
>
> It is weird, because it uses too thick borders around menu, around toolbar
> buttons etc. It is possible to make it suit your needs via customizing
> some variables and X resources, but by default it is ugly.

I think the GUI was made to look similar to the Motif default, I can't
tell the difference if I have two Emacsen next to each other, one with
Motif and one with Lucid menubars.  Motif defaults have been considered
a bit "heavy" by users used to some other look.

Your new look is more GTK-like, and thus perhaps a bit more modern looking.
I really can't say I prefer one over the other, they both look OK to me.

        Jan D.