Re: PRIMARY selection doesn't work

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PRIMARY selection doesn't work
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:27:24 -0400

> From: address@hidden (Michael Kifer)
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:43:48 -0400
>
>     EZ> Also, does
>     EZ> x_handle_selection_request (defined on xselect.c) get called when you
>     EZ> paste into another X application, and if so, could you step with a
> debugger
>     EZ> through it and see what happens inside x_handle_selection_request and
> its
>     EZ> subroutines that prevents pasting from working?
>
> The above function gets called, but unfortunately I am not familiar with
> this code and with the internals of X.
> When I step through this function I occasionally get a coredump in random
> places or it hangs in
>
> 2616         c = kbd_buffer_get_event (&kb, used_mouse_menu);
>
> in keyboard.c
>
> Otherwise -- nothing suspicious :-)
>
> If I just let it continue without stepping then it doesn't hang or
> coredump, but doesn't paste either.

Weird...

Do you see any change in behavior if you change the value of
selection-coding-system?  For example, what happens if you type
"C-x RET x latin-1 RET" and then mark a region of pure ASCII
characters and type "M-w"--can you paste that text into other
applications?  Please also try with "C-x RET x compound-text RET".