Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Nix
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 20 Apr 2002 20:33:03 +0100

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Michael Toomim said:
> Changing the terminology would help new users, and I think that old
> users would be able to get used to the changes pretty quickly, since
> they'd all be pretty intuitive (assuming they're just being updated to
> the terms commonly used today).

Bear in mind that the terminology is an API problem too: the terms
`buffer', `window', `frame' and so on are in the Lisp layer of (X)Emacs
and are used by Lisp code.

If we don't change the Lisp layer too, we introduce a serious
inconsistency between the terms used for the user-interface and the
terms used for Lisp (both of which blend seamlessly at present.)

If we do change the Lisp layer, we break the world.

--
`Unless they've moved it since I last checked, travelling between
 England and America does not involve crossing the equator.'