Re: TeX called improperly

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TeX called improperly
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:46:46 -0600 (MDT)

        What do you think is the right solution, the right way to handle
        tex-start-options-string?

    Just pass whatever is in the variable to tex?

That won't work.

    Perhaps Emacs is adding its own quotes back to the command, so that the
    local var could be set to a value like "\\nonstopmode\\input foo" and
    this would get passed on the command line as '\nonstopmode\input foo'.

Yes, that is the reason.  That is the default case; if it does not
work, that is a worse problem than we have now.

Maybe we could have two variables, tex-start-options-string
and tex-start-commands, and use the latter for TeX commands
like \nonstopmode.