Re: bindings reserved for users

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bindings reserved for users
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:32:11 -0400

> C-h b describe-bindings tells me M-n M-o M-p
> are not bound, but ( C-h i m emacs RET m
> keymaps RET ) doesn't mention that fact.

Some bindings are unused in the global map but are used in
various particular major modes and or minor modes.  This is why
M-n and M-p and M-o are not reserved for users: they are reserved
for the use of a major modes.
You can use them, of course, but at the risk of seeing them inoperant
in some cases (e.g. M-n and M-p are very often bound to something that
goes to the "previous/next input in history")

        Stefan