Re: reducing defface redundancy

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: reducing defface redundancy
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:24:17 -0600 (MDT)

    I replied to Per's question about this in some detail, but here's the
    short version: You can think of the grammar I outlined as merely being a
    convenient shorthand for the defface user; it's not hard to convert it
    into exactly the same `simple but redundant' 2-level format that the UI
    uses now.

I am not convinced that is a good solution to the issue of what
Custom should do.  Suppose I give a face one unconditional attribute,
and suppose the user customizes that attribute with Custom.
Should his customization always be recorded only for the one kind
of screen he is actually using?