Re: Attempt to modify read-only value

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Attempt to modify read-only value
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:12:39 +0900 (JST)

> After this:
> 2002-04-23  Miles Bader  <address@hidden>

>         * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-update-buffers): Add `Select Named Buffer'.
>         Add separator line before commands
>         Remove old crufty code that tried to line things up by adding
>         spaces to entries (it doesn't work).
>         Move `Frames' submenu after the normal buffers, and add a
>         separator line before it.
>         (menu-bar-buffers-menu-list-buffers-entry): Variable removed.

> I'm getting "attempt to modify read-only value" while bootstraping.

Me too.  This is because, in keyboard.c, we do this:
  if (NILP (cachelist))
    {
      /* We have to create a cachelist.  */
      CHECK_IMPURE (start);   <-- this causes the error
      XSETCDR (start, Fcons (Fcons (Qnil, Qnil), XCDR (start)));

Changing this part (line 1363 of menu-bar.el):
                      '((command-separator "--")
                        (select-named-buffer
                         menu-item
                         "Select Named Buffer..."
                         switch-to-buffer
                         :help "Prompt for a buffer name, and select that
buffer in the current window")
                        (list-all-buffers
                         menu-item
                         "List All Buffers"
                         list-buffers
                         :help "Pop up a window listing all emacs buffers"))))

to something like:
                      `((command-separator "--")
                        ,(list 'select-named-buffer
                               'menu-item
                               "Select Named Buffer..."
                               'switch-to-buffer
                               ...)
                        ,(list 'list-all-buffers
                               'menu-item
                               "List All Buffers"
                               'list-buffers
                               ...))

fixes this problem.  But, this workaround is very weird.
There should be a better solution.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden