Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:53:52 +0000 (UTC)

   > Do people really like this?  It sounds astonishly annoying to have
   > random meta keys stolen by the menus .... I am skeptical ...

So am I.

   On the other hand, I think many new users would expect that M-f would
   open the File menu,

I doubt that.  I suspect that these new users don't know about the
Meta key.  More likely they expect to use a key that is labeled Alt.

Please distinguish among commands, keybinding, and the labels on the keys
which are bound.

For example, I have two keys labeled with an Alt, both of which I have
bound to Meta.  I might be persuaded to rebind one of the keys labeled
with an Alt to Hyper -- then I could tell a newbie fried that the key
labeled Alt on the right hand side of the keyboard handles menus.

For testing, please provide alternative xmodmap commands I can put
into a ~/.xinitrc file that define what keys come with various labels,
along with commands to evaluate in a test Emacs session itself.

And please provide *alternative* maps, both for .xmodmap and Emacs,
so we can try different proposals, to see which should be a default
for `emacs -q', on a console, on a console on a slow connection, in a
X windowing system, and so on.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com