Re: Keyboard grabs

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Keyboard grabs
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:01:29 +0200 (MEST)

>     I didn't get fancy with the install suggestion, after all, the grab only
>     causes problem if you suspend or stop Emacs while a menu is posted.
> Surely
>     one can start Emacs from within the debugger in that case?
>
> Assume you did start Emacs from the debugger--if it hits a breakpoint
> while a menu is posted, how do you type anything at the debugger?
> Your console is hosed!  I've seen things like this happen with grabs
> in Emacs before.
>
> So I think it is important to have something that will help prevent
> this problem case.  Testing for an uninstalled Emacs was the idea I
> had.  Do you have another idea for a default criterion?

I kind of assumed that if you are debugging and suspect you might end up
in this situation, you set the variable in the debugger before starting
Emacs.  If you forget this, you are hosed of course, so a default off
for uninstalled is a good idea.

What is the proper way to check for installed/uninstalled Emacs?

        Jan D.