Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Terje Bless
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:21:57 +0200

Kai Groþjohann <address@hidden> wrote:

>Terje Bless <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>>Pressing `C-x b <tab>' gives you a "completions" buffer
>>
>>And *poof* you've just thrown me into a new world; "Mommy this is
>>_confusing_! My window just split in two and half my text is hidden. I
>>don't know what to do!"
>
>What do you use to open files?

The same as you probably, but only after the pain of trying to do it with
the mouse got to be too much some years back. For this I would much rather
have the familiar, if far less powerfull, native file select widget. It's
familiar so even if it isn't intuitive it's at least consistent.

But the switch to buffer bit is simply that me and Hrvoje are speaking of
slightly different things. Switch to buffer by name is there, but I'd like
to cycle through buffers sequentially; analogous to switching between
applications using Alt-TAB on Windows or Cmd-TAB on Mac OS.

A simple repetetive action instead of a single complicated one.

This is probably just because I tend to have far fewer buffers then Hrvoje,
or maybe I'm just weird or whatever. :-)