Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:22:11 +0200

> I don't think that accelerators should ever shadow standard Emacs keys
> such as M-f, M-e, M-b, M-t, M-h, and M-m by default in any X
> configuration.

Agreed in general.

> [...] Perhaps M-Shift- characters should be the default menu
> accelerators.

No.  No user will press two keys plus a letter to get a menu ;) To solve
the question you have to take a decision first: do you want to provide
menus for new users (new but already familiar with some sort of GUI) or
for old users quite familiar with Emacs?

New users will be more interested in possibility to access Menus with
the key labeled Alt+letter and old Emacs users will not stand it to
get lost of M-f etc. (they normally use the key labeled Alt as Meta).

As long as the systems stays configurable (as sawfish, the window
manager) I don't see a special problem; for Emacs 21.x you must not
change the defaults, for Emacs 22.x things are different.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o