Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:27:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Ben Wing wrote:

> >I think such a mode is inappropriate for Emacs because our menu bar can
> >change dynamically as a function of what you type.  So in Emacs, what
> >keys will be stolen is not entirely predictable, which makes this even a
> >worse idea, IMHO.

FWIW, most bigger UI applications behave like this.  The menu change
depending on what you're doing, and the menu accelerator bindings change
with it.

> you guys are so X-centric in your thinking.  there is no other key in
> Windows, really.  people *always* expect the Alt key to traverse to
> menus, and it's no exception here.

I agree completely.  It seems the current practice is to use Alt for meta
operations such as menubar, window movement etc, and Ctrl for application
specific operations.

Going through the M-* bindings, I only find I'm normally only using M-q,
M-w, M-u, M-d, M-l, M-c, and M-x.  M-w is just because emacs cut'n'paste
behaviour is weird compared to most other applications.  I could easily
re-learn M-q, M-u, M-l and M-c.  M-x could probably also be changed,
altough perhaps it is going too far.  M-d cannot be changed though IMHO,
but here I think emacs actually is in agreement with many other
applications.  Just my $.2 worth unscientific study.