Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:37:06 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Ben Wing <address@hidden> writes:
>> the fact is that things work quite well when you have only a meta key.
>> e.g. meta+letter is an accelerator only when such a menu exists;
>> otherwise, you get the regular binding -- and even then you can
>> retrieve the shadowed binding with shift+meta+letter.
>
> Do people really like this?  It sounds astonishly annoying to have
> random meta keys stolen by the menus, especially since emacs has many
> useful and common commands on M-letter keys.  E.g., doesn't the `File'
> menu steal `M-f', the `Buffers' menu `M-b', etc.?

I'd have to try it to be sure, but I also think I would hate for M-f
to invoke the menu.

But a useful option might be to make it so that M-f invokes
forward-word where as <meta> f invokes the file menu.  (With this I
mean that the user presses and then releases the Meta or Alt key or
whatever this key to the left of the space bar is labeled.)  With
suitable highlighting of the menubar after doing <meta>, this might
even be intuitive enough so that people aren't surprised that they
have to hit ESC after pressing and releasing <meta> erroneously.

Thoughts?

kai
--
Silence is foo!