Re: init_buffer PWD fix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: init_buffer PWD fix
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:03:26 +0300

> From: MIYASHITA Hisashi(=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCNVwyPBsoQiAbJEI+MBsoQjpISU1J?=)
>  <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:30:35 +0900
>
> > True for now.  But suppose we introduce into Emacs support for
> > Cygwin-style symlinks some day--are we supposed to go through all the
> > primitives and invent Windows-specific code to handle that?
>
> But even if it is true, I previously said that GetCurrentDirectory()
> holds the straightforward values set by SetCurrentDirectory(), so we don't
> have to stick to "PWD" environemt variable that may be different from
> the value of "PWD".

It's something for the user to decide, I think.  For example, I'm
guessing that GetCurrentDirectory returns a file name with backslashes
and might have some weird letter-case conversions applied to it; users
might not want that.

> Furthermore, in this view, I think that we MUST NOT use "PWD"
> environment variable to obtain the current directory because it's
> never standardized.

Do you know of some Windows application that uses PWD in an
incompatible fashion?  I use Windows for quite some time, and have
never seen such a beast.  The only applications that use PWD are
ported Unix and GNU tools, and they all use it in a consistent manner.