Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: 25 Apr 2002 17:05:40 +0900

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

    But a useful option might be to make it so that M-f invokes
    forward-word where as <meta> f invokes the file menu.  (With this I
    mean that the user presses and then releases the Meta or Alt key or
    whatever this key to the left of the space bar is labeled.)

    rms> That could be weird, but it might be ok.
    rms> It is much better than stealing the M-f command.

But it _does_ override the M-f command for users who set
`modifier-keys-are-sticky' (in XEmacs, I guess in GNU Emacs there must
be a similar facility using the `event-apply-.*-modifier functions?
but "apropos modifier" doesn't find it).  The interaction with the
equivalent platform facility is not obvious to me, either (especially
if you have an input method active too!)

I like Ben's implementation which makes the behavior user-configurable
(although I wish it were generalizable to keyboard themes).