Re: Localization: keyboards and messages (Re: across terminals)

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Localization: keyboards and messages (Re: across terminals)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:29:57 +0200

   From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:04:04 +0200

   > Yes.  Doing localization (L10N) properly would mean a lot of key
   > re-assignments (that's why I use US keyboards only).
   >
   > Before re-mapping keys lets solve the message translation problem first.

Yes, I agree with Karl. Message/text translation is in my opinion the most
wanted feature. We do not have to do the translations, we should only
provide infrastructure. I do not know what is the situation in other
countries, but here in CZ we have many people who are ready to start
translating pieces of texts from Emacs to Czech. They are only waiting to
have the possibility to start...

What other developers think about this? I think we should coordinate the
work on this with people from XEmacs team.
--
Pavel Janík

Choose a data representation that makes the program simple.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)