Re: Buffers menu question

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Buffers menu question
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:40:19 -0600 (MDT)

    Perhaps that's true, but of course they should probably also be
    characters that convey the desired meaning to users.  In the case of
    buffer status, the conventional characters are `*' and `%', which in
    the font I used for menus are radically different widths (that's why I
    sound so adamant -- it really does look bad for me).

Whether * and % have the same width would be relevant
if the idea were to use * and % as alternatives in one column.
However, actually they are used independently.  So the question
is whether we can find an alternative to * that has the same width
(in common fonts) as *, and an alternative to % that has the same width
(in common fonts) as %.