Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:41:21 -0400

> The other behavior inhibits all EOL conversions, so it shows the
> contents of a binary file's more accurately.  That's not an
> overwhelming advantage, but I don't see any significant advantages in
> the suggested change, either.  In the absence of significant
> advantages, I think the defaults should not change.

The advantage is that it allows the inclusion of lone CR chars
in dos-style files and it makes the code simpler.

Binary file whose first "three lines" look like dos-style files
are much less frequent in my experience than broken text files
(probably because CRLF are frequently converted to/from LF, so
it's quite common to end up with an extra CR or a missing CR.
For technical reasons Emacs can't handle a lone LF in a dos-style
file, but that's not the case for lone CRs).
I've wasted too much of my time on this detail anyway.

        Stefan