Re: Buffers menu question

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Buffers menu question
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:19:38 -0600 (MDT)

    If you could use something besides SPC that was visually undistracting
    enough to not be a problem, you could use that as alternative to the SPC
    character.  However, it seems certain that you couldn't use the _same_
    character as the `SPC alternative' for both `*' and '%' (the width `*'
    often seems to be quite narrow, whereas the width of `%' is often very
    wide), so this might lead to having a very confusing jumble of
    cryptic-looking characters...

No, I don't have practical experience with fonts nowadays.
It was on other systems, in the past, that I noticed many
punctuation characters typically had similar widths.

If there are no suitable alternatives for * and % today, perhaps the
best thing to do is double them and put them inside parens, and leave
them at the end.  That would make them more visible, which I think is
the aim.

If the suggestion to display them with a foreground that matches
the background can actually be implemented, that could be good.
Then they could go at the front and everything could be aligned.