Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 14:51:52 -0400

> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 01:14:52 -0600 (MDT)
> >
> > Does anyone see a problem with these changes?
>
> Shouldn't we disallow saving a file whose coding: says something
> different from the actual encoding?  Is there any situation when such
> a file means anything but trouble when it is visited?

I'm not sure what to say.
On the one hand I agree, but on the other I have found myself annoyed
at select-safe-coding-system's insistence that I select a coding-system
that it deemed safe (whereas I wanted another coding-system which I knew
was safe even though Emacs disagreed).

So I think that select-safe-coding-system should be changed to allow
the user to select an unsafe coding-system and that it should
also be possible to save with a different coding-system than the
one specified in the `coding:' tag.
But in both cases, it should only allow it after the user has gone
through a fair bit of warnings and questions (and/or something
like (put 'eval-expression 'disabled nil)).

        Stefan